Sunday, September 26, 2010

The very long awaited Tokyo Game Show Post Pt. 1

A little over a week ago, I got to do one of my favorite things every year... make the trip to Tokyo Game Show. I went to Tokyo with my wife on Friday night and stayed with her parents for the night. She lives about an hour and a half from Makuhari-mese, the convention center where Tokyo Game Show is held.

I got up at 3:30 in the morning, something I will not do for any other occasion or event. I got my stuff together, took a shower without waking my kid or the rest of the family and got out of the house and to the Train station in time for the first train at 4:30 am. There were several other people there who were headed to the same place I was. This was going to be a fun time.

By the time the train pulled into the convention center station, it was totally packed. We all made our way to the very, very long line to begin waiting for the doors to open. By the time I got there, there were probably about 10,000 people already in line. It was insanity, but, not as bad as the last time I went in 2008. I was able to get all the way around the convention center to the back side and about half way down to the corner close to the door. This was a great spot. I was almost three times as far away when I went in '08.

I waited for about 4 hours before the doors opened at 10:00. I played some Dragon Quest in line and took some notes for the upcoming DnD game, which I have been talking about in the ongoing series about our campaign.

When the doors opened, it was a snail's pace rush by the line to get into the convention center. When I finally made it through the door's, I was greeted by a glorious sight. Beautiful Neon lights and massive video screens. It doesn't get much better. One of the things I wanted to do really badly this time around was play Monster Hunter Third, the new game coming out for the PSP in December. I picked up my assigned play time, 1:45, and quickly headed for the dealer area to get my first pick at some great merchandise before it all disappeared.

Next time, I'll talk about the games I played. I got my hands on a fair amount this time around. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment