Tuesday, October 19, 2010

When will we see 4e flaws?

I remember gloriously the days when we had character flaws in 3.5. I loved this system. There were always more feats that I wanted to take and I didn't mind weakening my character in some ways in order to make him stronger in others. I would love to see a return of flaws to 4e in the future. The system may need to be adjusted, but being able to take several of these character defining traits, I think, would be a great addition to the game. In the meantime, I will be rolling up some new flaws/traits as homebrew for my ongoing campaign. Any players who want to, will be able to take these flaws/traits at their leisure. Look to The Dump Stat in the future for flaws coming down the road.

3 comments:

  1. I wrote a short blog post on this topic.
    http://bigballofnofun.blogspot.com/2010/09/4e-disadvantages.html

    D&D has never been really big into the concept of flaws. A lot of other games are big into it. However, there is no reason why they couldn't be included in 4E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, thanks Callin. I am going to go take a look at that right now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you mean game instead of character then mission complete. I do however see the MMO market appeal however. In this case it is the only game in town.

    That said, you may wish to look at how Mutants and Masterminds or FATE 3.0 handles this for a really easy fix that is also a game / story driver and ability fueler. In the case of aspects (FATE) you have to actually play your character to play the game. You can get the Spirit of the Century SRD for free online. You probably won't like the game entire (different gamer type/spectrum indicated by 4e pref) but it is free and at least has some useful ideas.

    ReplyDelete