Sunday, November 7, 2010

Genesis Journal #4 - Writing Ancient History

In my ongoing world building endeavors, I have come up on a Task which keeps on breaking me down; that task is the writing of ancient history. I keep hitting a wall whenever I try to record how the world is created, but I feel like I need to do it.

Why is it so daunting?
Well, after looking over Eberron and Forgotten Realms, I realized that we are talking Millions of Years of History. That is a lot of time to cover. So far, It seems that I have several millenia all crammed into a single paragraph of history. I guess to me it just seems to be, well, not detailed enough.

The other problem I keep having is whether or not to divert or align with the some of the currently accepted D&D setting universal elements, or go about doing it all myself. When looking at the current history, there are Primordials and Gods doing battle during the Dawn War. Do I want to keep this idea in my setting? I am just not sure. It seems like something of a good idea so that I don't have to rewrite everything (i.e. the planes and the gods etc.) but at the same time, I want to be original and the Dawn War just doesn't seem to flow with how I see my setting playing out.

Anybody have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment