XDMC 23: Create a Legendary Organization!
The topic for this competition is Legendary Organization. The Argonauts, the Knights of the Round Table, the Knights Templar, and Robin Hood's merry men. History is replete with bands of heroes in myth and legend that inspire acts of bravery and adventure. The contest asks entrants to create an organization that is or is believed to no longer exist, but can be used to inspire campaigns. In order to enter this competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
Name: Name the legendary organization.
Common Knowledge: Describe what is commonly known about the organization. It must be common knowledge that the organization no longer exists.
History: Describe what additional information, if any, can be known about the organization with a successful History check.
Hook: Suggest one or more ways the legendary organization can be used in a campaign. If you do not meet each of these required elements, you will receive a score of zero in Themes.
- In addition, the entry must include at least three of the following optional elements:
Guarded Secret: A crucial secret of the organization is not common knowledge, and cannot be discovered through a History check. It can only be uncovered by surpassing a challenge (combat or skill) described in the entry.
- Heroic: The organization accomplished tasks appropriate for epic-tier play, but one or more hooks suggest adventures appropriate for heroic-tier adventurers.
Imitators: Some claim to continue the organization, but actually pursue an agenda the original would not have supported.
- Magic Item: The organization's legend is intimately tied to a magic item described in the entry.
- Mysterious End: It is not common knowledge how the organization ended.
- Nemesis: It is common knowledge that the organization had an antagonism with a specific type of creature (e.g., orcs, devils, or primal spirits).
- Propaganda: It is common knowledge that the organization was benevolent. The information is inaccurate, but if the truth became known, it would cause social upheaval.
- Restoration: Legends say that adventurers of destiny will begin the organization anew, if they accomplish one or more tasks described in the entry.
- Self-Sacrifice: The organization destroyed itself, or allowed itself to be destroyed, in order to accomplish one or more of its goals.
- Treachery: The organization was destroyed by one or more of its own members, despite opposition by other members.
- Unfinished Business: It is common knowledge that the organization failed to fulfill the purpose for which it was created.List the optional elements you intend to include. If you do not, the judges will credit you only for the optional elements they happen to notice.
Sound like fun? You bet it does. Entries are open until Friday November 12th. That is just 2 weeks. Better get yours in soon.
Here is a link to the competition this month: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26143637/Expert_Dungeon_Master_Competition_23:_Create_a_Legendary_Organization!