Monday, December 13, 2010

Kitchen Sink Settings - RIFTS



I have never played in a kitchen sink setting before, much less played in a game that uses a kitchen sink kind of rules set, so I didn't really know of the term until just recently.

But, the guys at RPG Circus continue to be a fantastic source of information around the web. They semi-frequently bring up the totally crazy game/setting RIFTS by Palladium Books. i have never had the chance to play this game, much less even pick up the book ( though I recognize the cover from my game shop days).

From the way this game sounds, I think it would be a LOT of fun to play a game like this. I really enjoy the blending of settings, styles, tropes, etc., and RIFTS sounds like it is a great mix of mecha, fantasy, and all other kinds of great gaming fun.

The other thing I realized is that I am trying to build a kitchen sink setting myself. I want to mix lots of different genres together, if for no other reason than being able to have the same characters jump between game styles and types of play every few months when we get tired of playing in a certain style. If all these different game elements are all contained within the same world, it makes it easy to keep track of characters and leveling and allow the same characters to have an extremely varied experience.

If you were to play a game like RIFTS using a game rules set like we see in 4e, would it be an enjoyable experience for you? Would you like that style of play? Interested parties await your response.

No comments:

Post a Comment