Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Review: Amethyst by Dias Ex Machina and Goodman Games Pt. 1


This will be the first part in a long series of reviews that I will be doing about the game Amethyst Foundations, published by Dias Ex Machina and Goodman Games. Before I finally was able to get a chance to look at the book myself, I had read a few things about it at other sites around the web.

Amethyst is essentially a new, high-tech campaign setting which uses the 4th Edition D&D rules set. That is a very simple generalization because, from what I have seen, the game is a whole lot more.

It is set in the near future, where the world of fantasy has merged with our earth. I don't want to give too much away just yet. I haven't made it very far through this book, because, in all honesty, it has me totally absorbed. It is going to take quite a while to read from cover to cover considering that it is almost 300 pages in length and I have a kid that I have to play with on a regular basis. I keep getting stalled at all the artwork which is incredibly well done.


From what I have seen so far, there is nothing but good things going on here. I have barely even made it into the races section of the book and I can already see myself running an ongoing campaign in this world.

Look for more in my review series of Amethyst coming soon. I will be dong a more complete, full review of the product, as well as posting characters, and my own personal adventure ideas for use with the campaign setting. With any luck, I may even have an interview from the writer to share with you as well.

2 comments:

  1. And I was just discussing with my primary DM that I could see using the 4th Edition ruleset in a wide number of settings and time periods ... and then I find out about this. :D

    This looks awesome. Looking forward to hearing your take on Amethyst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, the game is really awesome. I am taking a very long read through the book because I am liking it so much. Currently on the races section, which I will have a review for over the weekend I think. This book is definitely worth a buy.

    ReplyDelete