Friday, January 7, 2011

Gaming with LEGO - Post Your Stories

I have been a LEGO maniac for a lot longer than I have been a Role Playing Gamer. I can imagine that most of us gamers out there got our hands on a LEGO set or two at one point during out childhoods, but I gotta say, I might trump a lot of people when it comes to the mass quantity of bricks that I have in my collection. Right now, that collection is sitting in several massive crates inside my parents house back in California, waiting for the day that I settle down and get a place that is big enough to house them all. At this point, I am pretty sure I have over 100,000 total bricks, though I have never counted them all. I have well over 200 feet of train track, hundreds of box sets and I have several crates of just colored bricks. I don't think I have touched my LEGO's since middle school, in all honesty, but now that I have a kid of my own, I have been dying to get them out again and pick up some of the new, bigger, badder, more custom LEGO sets that they have out there.

But, one of the things that I have also been seeing around the net lately is a plethora of 3D dungeons being built using LEGOs. I must say, that using LEGOs in a D&D game has its appeal, but what is even better is that now with all the new sets that they have available, you could run a game of just about anything using the LEGO sets and minis that have been released over the last few years.

I picked up one of the LEGO kingdoms sets recently and put it aside. My son will get to it in a few years. I plan to pick up several of these sets a year and just put them away. He will get to them eventually. If he doesn't, his dad definitely will. The new LEGO kingdoms stuff is really awesome, but if you look at the LEGO catalog, they have sets for the Prince of Persia movie which would go great with a Dark Sun type of game; they also have an entire line of LEGO Ninja type stuff now (which I think they had at one point in the past as well, and I think I have some LEGO Samurai stuff some where). All in all, I would say that with the current LEGOs that are out there you could even run a Shadowrun game, or something akin to that pretty easily.

I have never had a chance to run a game using LEGOs to build terrain, but I think It would be a pretty cool thing to do. I could easily see myself building a few building interiors and setting them aside. Whenever the players end up inside a tavern, I could easily bust that Tavern out and toss it onto the table. I could also see myself building a massive dungeon as the game goes on, having bricks set aside and quick instructions for laying down new rooms as I go. 3D terrain becomes an easy thing to put together. There aren't a whole lot of Table Minis, or Crate Minis, or even Bench minis, but if you throw a few LEGO bricks together, you could easily make that happen.

Sure, LEGOs are pretty expensive, but you can use them as many times as you want and they never break. What you put together might get destroyed, but you can always throw that structure back together again.

My call goes out to you all now. If you have used LEGOs in your game, post your stories here. I would love to hear how you used them and how it worked out. I would also love to see any pictures of 3D LEGO terrain that you have put together. Share your thoughts, experiences, and pics now.

5 comments:

  1. I have not used LEGO in an RPG specifically, but for a few years, I was doing a lot of Evil Stevie's Pirate Game. Note that this page is old and many links may no longer work (I did just update the links to Evil Stevie's Pirate Game, but other links may not work). I also have this page on LEGO gaming, again, not updated recently.

    Here is some large scale terrain and buildings I have done.

    And the sequence starting at this picture (click "Next" to see more) is another large scale display (with trains) I have done.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those right there are some seriously awesome scenes. I love the train setup. I have done some stuff like that in the past as well, but not to that scale publicly, mostly having trains running from all around the downstairs of my house and up to the second story through some very elaborate ramps. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I should stress, those big train displays are a club effort. I did build the big cliff/tunnel scene from my own collection though.

    The Pirate Game pictures, I have provided almost all of the ships and minifigs, and a portion of the scenery. I used to pack all those ships and my scenery, plus clothes for Gencon or Origins into two suitcases (back before the days of 1st checked bag fees, and before the reduction from 70 lbs to 50 lbs for bags).

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. LEGO Clubs are pretty awesome. I used to do a lot with Mindstorms in high school, but never found a club to do train stuff. One of my friends however, has done some seriously huge work of his own. I might have to get his permission to post some of those shots. They are epic in nature. He is part of a club in Seattle that does all kinds of massive LEGO displays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know many of the Seattle folks (I live in Portland Oregon). They do some cool stuff up there.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete