Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Genesis Journal #18 - Describing Worlds, 1st Person FTW

So, I have been rethinking how I want to describe my new setting. Let's just say that I really like writing letters, which is a bit of a problem in this day and age, when we never really write letters that much anymore.

One of the interesting points in my setting, which I may not have pointed out before, is the nature of the foreigners, the outsiders, that come to the world and have a part to play in the world. Given the fact that that the setting is taking a very, very Japanese style the farther into setting development that I get, I thought that the best way to develop this, outsider, is by modeling them after another well known human empire, the Romans.

I wouldn't call this race of interplanar visitors as being necessarily good, or evil, or even human, but I like the way the Roman Empire offers up images of Order and Power, two things that I want this outsider race to bring along with them to the world of the Mad Lands.

Getting back to the point of this post, I think that describing this world in the 1st person sounds like an interesting prospect, especially when you describe it from the point of view of that outsider, who is just as foreign to the world as the reader is; I think that gives them a way to connect. The reason I say all of this is because I will be posting these letters up on the blog from now on. They will be going on Obsidian Portal as well, for good measure, but I want to put them up here too in order to get feedback from all of my readers. Comments are always appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment