Monday, January 24, 2011

Getting your inFAMOUS in my D&D 2

Ok. I know. I made one post about inFamous already in the last week. Why write another one… well, there is so much of this game that I like, that I just can’t stop thinking about all the ways those good elements could be incorporate into my tabletop game.

One of the core elements in inFamous is the Good/Evil choice in relationship and the city you explore. Throughout the city, you are confronted with various quests in the side quest and main quest variety. Although the main quests help move the story along, there are tons of little side quest which you can do between these main quests which help to build your reputation in the city, or, break it apart.

I find a lot of the side quests in inFamous to be repetitive and lame. After clearing the 10th building of cameras, I pretty much hated that type of quest, but although I dislike the actual quests themselves, I do like what they do for you with respect to the game.

When you complete a minor side quest, you get some experience points and you lock down a section of the city. You essentially gain control of a single portion of the sandbox and prevent enemies from returning to that area. I like that mechanic a lot. Though it wouldn’t work very well with D&D, because there are not all that many random monster/fights you have in cities, I think there are several ways that you could make it work.

The other aspect of the side quests in inFamous that I like are the good/evil choice quests. You have an alignment in the game which effects what kind of powers that you can use. As your alignment goes more towards the hero side of the scale, people love you and want to take your picture. As your alignment shifts the other way, people start to fear you (though I am not sure exactly what happens since I haven’t gone that path in the game… yea… I became a goody two-shoes hero-boy). As you do these alignment shift quests, every good choice quest you complete locks out one of the villain quests. That is a great idea as well. I like it a lot.

I think there is an easy way that you could make these work in a D&D game. For each minor quest you complete, whether that be just breaking up a bar fight, or helping get someone’s cat out of a tree, your reputation in a particular part of the world increases or decreases. Every quest makes you more notable, but the way you conduct yourself in completing those quests, either through good means or evil ones, affects how the majority of people in the world see you. You could then easily make these quests connect to encounters; for example, if you were trying to be a good, law abiding citizen, and happened to clean up some of the scum of the city, the city guard might approach to either recruit or aid you. On the flip side, if you were constantly stealing horses and causing bar fights, you might get in trouble with the law, but seeing your potential, the local thieves guild might try to get you out of trouble in return for your service.

I also think that the city control aspect could be easily implemented as well. If you do more good quests, the presence of evil elements in a part of town might dry up, but go stronger in areas where you have not fought them before. On the other hand, if you happen to pressure the city guard enough, they might need to get out of the bad areas of town for fear of being over-run (or, you might develop enough power that you convince them through their wallets that not being in the slums is a good idea).

I like what World of Warcraft has done with its new quests system. It made them a lot of fun for players of all races and classes. Combining the style that inFamous does with its quests, with the content and variance of depth that you get in WoW quests, could make for a perfect pairing.

Have you ever done something like this in one of your games? If so, how did it work out? What was your experience with that style of quest system in D&D?

No comments:

Post a Comment