Wednesday, January 19, 2011

News: New Wizards Organized Play Announced, Fortune Cards Mentioned

Ok. It appears that we are now finding out what these much talked about Fortune Cards are going to be required for in terms of Wizards Organized Play of D&D 4e and I am actually moderately excited. Yesterday, Wizards sent out this announcement, detailing the following:

A New D&D In-Store Play Program
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you have what it takes to brave the fiercest foes, fight the toughest battles, and conquer the vilest enemies, we have a new D&D play experience for you! Starting in September, gather your master tacticians and rules experts together to kick down the dungeon doors and begin the assault!

The new Wizards Play Network in-store program pits tactically-minded players against a super challenging adventure where the difference between victory and defeat is dependent upon your game knowledge, ability to adapt, and a little bit of luck. You’ll pit your wits against some of the most challenging encounters you’ve ever played. Each adventure plays in just a few hours, but for many players, they’ll need to make more than one run at it in pursuit of victory. A season lasts 2 months, and stores can schedule their sessions at any time during the season.

Bring extra character sheets. Bring Fortune Cards. You’ll need them.

Begin your lair assault this September.

Ok. So. This actually sounds interesting in several ways. It appears that we will actually be having an Organized Play event which is based around power gaming. This event sounds like it will be an opportunity for groups of hard-core power gaming enthusiasts to build an optimized party at home, bring that party to the table, and do your best to WIN the game.

I have always said that Power Gamers are a part of the market for gaming; you might not like them very much and sometimes they might be a pain to have at the table, but you can't deny that a portion of this hobby, especially D&D 4e is populated by the power gaming folks. I have a side of me that loves power gaming as many people know. I started playing D&D through essentially gauntlet style team based player vs. player events.

This event sounds like it might be something like that, but without the pvp side of things.

What this announcement also says to me is that maybe, just maybe, this type of game is going to be somewhat tournament style. It also may in fact have some kind of reward involved, as many tournament style events do. If the cost to play in a D&D tournament is essentially the cost of a pack of fortune cards, I can get on board with it. I would usually pay some kind of entry fee to play in a MtG tournament or a 40k tournament. If I have to pay $5 to play in a D&D tournament, I am on board with that. I don't think I will be collecting a lot of the Fortune cards, but if that is their use, cool. I wouldn't want to use them in encounters, if the game is going to only last an hour, but if the adventure will take perhaps 3-4 hours, which is about standard for the typical tournament that I would attend (or run, which I did for years as an FLGS store manager).

So, I guess I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. This style of game intrigues me. I hope that I can perhaps get a chance to play in or run a game of this when it comes out in September.

You can find the announcement at Wizards of the Coast 

No comments:

Post a Comment