Sunday, March 27, 2011

Warhammer 40,000 Retrospective - 40K Radio Review

I've been very much a fan of the Warhammer 40,000 Universe since I was in Middle School.  My experience with miniatures gaming predates my RPG experience by several years, but I haven't played much since High School.  However, recently, I've been listening to the 40K Radio Podcast and my 40 K memories have come flooding back yet again.

40K Radio is a pretty good podcast in my podcast listening opinion.  I listen to a lot of podcasts (I'm going to start doing some podcast reviews pretty soon) and this is the first 40 K related podcast that I've listened to.  The guys that do the podcast are entertaining and they get into the gritty strategic details of the game in most of their shows.  They also bring in some great interviews with folks like Dan Abnett and Graham McNiell, some of the biggest names that come out of the Black Library.

The show can run really, really long sometimes, but honestly, I don't find that to be a bad thing.  Some folks dislike longer podcasts, but I love them.  As long as what's going on in the podcast is not BS random off topic nonsense, than I'm a very happy puppy.  Some of the 40K Radio Podcasts can be almost 3 hours long, but they don't stray off topic very much - instead they provide very in depth analysis of the 40K Game and Hobby and also manage to talk about the 40K RPG's once in a while (One of their recent podcasts features one of the 40K RPG Producers from Fantasy Flight Games).

If you're not really into 40K then you obviously won't find much in this podcast for you.  The show is fairly specific to the 40K game, especially the miniatures version, so if that isn't really your thing, you might not find much there for you.  However, if you are a current player, or even a former player looking to get back into the hobby and are looking for some news and discussion of the current edition of the game, you can be pretty sure to find a good start with 40K Radio.

Listening to them talk about 40K and some of the new armies that are coming out has gotten me into a very "Warhammer" type of mood, so I thought I'd take some time this week to talk about how I got started in miniatures gaming and how that entrance eventually led me to 40K and now into the 40K Universe RPG's.  I hope you enjoy it.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment