Monday, April 4, 2011

Spotlight - Leverage RPG - Kickoff

It has been a really long time coming, but I am finally going to kick off of my Leverage RPG Review this week.  Earlier this year, Margaret Weis Productions, was nice enough to send me a review copy of the Leverage RPG when I had showed interest in reviewing their Smallville RPG.  I was quite intimidated at first.  At the time I received the copy of the book, the only thing about Leverage that I knew was that it was a show on TNT about thieves and it starred the dude who played Lindsey McDonald on Angel (we love our Christian Kane).  I wasn't really prepared to read and review Leverage until I actually got to see the show!  The Smallville RPG turned out to be a great product, if reviewed as an RPG Simulation for the Smallville TV Show.

One of the things that I didn't like so much about the Smallville RPG was that I thought it didn't do a perfect job of simulating the "Superhero" genre for me, since that was something I presumed the review should be based on, but after some discussion with the developers, and learning that they really tried to based the game as closely to the show as possible, the design decisions became much clearer to me. That really strengthened my opinion that I would be pretty much out of line to review this RPG without having some understanding of the source material.

But, now, everything has changed! I have finally gotten a chance to watch season one of the show, and will be watching season 2 very soon.  I actually enjoyed Leverage a lot more than I thought I would and I have gotten pretty much hooked.  I am very happy to learn that the show will be airing its fourth season in June of this year, which means lots more DVD box sets coming to me out here in Japan, eventually...  To make a long story very short, I have finally gotten a chance to give the Leverage RPG a good read and I'll be going through it, with my usual RPG spotlight format over the course of the next week.  I hope you all stay tuned for  it!

4 comments:

  1. Cool, I'll have to check it out. We've really been enjoying Leverage quite a bit and are about halfway through watching the second season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting...did they just remove the cyberware and magic from Shadowrun? Because the similarities with a well-run Shadowrun game is the reason why I started watching Leverage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always add in the magic and cyberware if you liked. Leverage is a really easy game to hack, and we're supporting that hackability with an upcoming tips and tricks sourcebook for Cortex Plus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cam! You got to this one fast!
    @Johnathan - looks like I'll be waiting for Season 2 for a bit, but will get to it soon enough.
    @Darryl - just as Cam mentioned, the Leverage RPG is really easily hackable. I kind of want to run an over the top super fantasy setting with the Leverage RPG Rules. It's very feasible to do something like that actually :)

    ReplyDelete