Monday, August 8, 2011

RPG Blogger Carnival - Animals in RPG's: Beastfolk Races

This month, the RPG Blogger Carnival is being hosted by Tower of the Archmage.  What an interesting topic we have this month! Animals in RPG's is something that is actually remarkably interesting and nuanced as a topic for an RPG Carnival; it's suprising how little the topic actually gets brought up round the RPG Blogosphere.  Glad they decided to give it some thought.

I'm not sure I have tons of stuff to contribute to this topic, as really, animals haven't come up in my games nearly as much as I would like to have them.  However, what I will throw up here right to start are some links to the various human animal hybrid races that I brewed up for my 4e D&D campaign setting.

You can find my various "Beastfolk" races, based off the various Zodiac signs, below.
Tora (Tiger-folk)
Inu (Dog-folk)
Tori (Chicken-folk)
Saru (Monkey-folk)
Uma (Horse-folk)
Inoshishi (Boar-folk)
Hebi (Snake-folk)
Nezumi (Rat-folk)
Usagi (Rabbit-folk)
Ibixians (Ram-folk) - update to the 3.5 edition.

I intend to continue this series, as I get more time to devote to it.  I still have 4 animals to finish up.  Those animals are the Ox and Dragon.  I have plans to do a Minotaur variant and a Eastern-themed Dragon-folk.  I haven't added much fluff to these yet, which is something I regret, but I will... in time... and once I figure out the role each one of these races is going to play in my current/future campaign setting.

Hopefully, at some point, this will all get compiled into a neat little PDF and get thrown up on RPGNow or someplace similar.  I'd love to get somebody to do art for these races, but that is going to be something to dream about.

2 comments:

  1. I too am a fan of anthropomorphic races. I was a huge fan of the third edition "Tortle" from Dragon Magazine #315. For any of your readers who would like the updated 4th edition turtle-folk it's here for free...

    http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=93979

    Thanks and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh, very cool. That sounds like a nice little race right there. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete