Saturday, October 22, 2016

Friday Night Magic at SoCal Games and Comics 10/21/2016

My Standard Deck is Finished!!!!

So I've always wanted to join the FNM crowd. That's when all the cool kids play Magic isn't it? I've also unfortunately always been way, way too poor to afford a standard deck for the game. Well folks, I'm happy to say that yesterday, before FNM started I was able to complete my deck. The guys down at the store were helpful enough in finding all the cards that I needed - of course they would be, I'm paying for them after all; not-at-all-surprisingly, the other regulars helped give me some advice on alternate card picks as well as found me some cards out of their own collections to supplement my deck (THANKS JOE!!).




My Red/Green/Black Deck - Ever After Reanimator featuring Omnath and Friends

My deck is built around the reanimator style of play. I fill my graveyard with cards then draw them or put them back into play. The primary way I get the cards back is with Ever After; for 2 black and 4 colorless, I can grab any two monsters and put them in play. My main pick for this is Omnath, Locus of Rage, seconded by Mina and Denn if I can get them. With the ability to play more than one land a turn, potentially pulling some back to my hand as well, it allows me to play a TON of elementals all at once (4 if you drop a pair of evolving wilds). With the proper acceleration, I think you could pull this little play off on turn 5... I haven't attempted that though...
  1. Play Mountain
  2. Play land - cast Cathartic Reunion, discarding Omnath and Mina and Den
  3. Play Land - cast Corrupted Graftstone
  4. Play Land - cast Corrupted Graftstone
  5. Play Ever After, Casting Omnath as well as Mina and Denn, Play Evolving Wilds, Play Evolving Wilds, use both Evolving Wilds to get two more lands onto the table.
It's not the craziest combo ever, but the deck is budget... what do you want from me. Other clutch pulls with Ever after include Void Winnower and Ulamog as well as Murasa; the Mindwrack demons aren't bad for loading up the graveyard with stuff to pull. I'm going to add in Noxious Gearhulk and Combustible Gearhulk when I have enough money for them (these will probably replace 2 of the Mindwrack demons).

Here's my beautiful standard budget deck in all its yellow sleeved glory.

Here's my baby in all it's glory.
Here's the deck list below:

4 Cathartic Reunion
3  Corrupted Grafstone
4  Ever After
2  Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Cinder Barrens
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
2 Foul Orchard
3 Grapple with the Past
2 Grasp of Darkness
1 Greenwarden of Murasa
3 Hissing Quagmire
1 Mina and Denn
4 Mindwrack Demon
3 Mountain
3 Omnath, Locus of Rage
3 Radiant Flames
3 Swamp
1 Timber Gorge
2 Tormenting Voice
4 Vessel of Nascency
1 Void Winnower



No comments:

Post a Comment