Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Misadventures of Trip 'N' Ballz - My Project for NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month is Upon Us!!!!!! 


Next month is National Novel Writing Month, otherwise known as NaNoWrimo. I'll be joining the fray this year to kick off my 'career' as a professional writer. I've toyed with the challenge for many years, but I've never really been too serious about it. This year, I plan to go all out. I've already finished outlining my book and I'm ready to start writing. In fact, I may already have begun.


For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo is a challenge in the month of November to write 50,000 words in a month. At the end of the month, you've got a Novella which you could potentially publish, if it's quality (most of the time that's pretty rare). The challenge is an excellent opportunity to flex your writing muscles. I succeeded in the challenge back in college, but the book I wrote is garbage. I'm kind of ashamed to show it off - too much sex and violence. This year, I'm going to walk that fine line between original work and fan-fiction. If 50 shades of gray can start off as Twilight fan-fic, then maybe mine can do the same for Jay and Silent Bob.


Jay and Silent Bob are the heroes of Kevin Smith's Creation (he's Bob). I love these guys. You could say I'm a pretty serious fanboy of Kev Smith. I've been listening to his podcasts for years and year and years. They are filled with some seriously funny shit. Jay and Bob are drug dealers with hearts of gold. Their adventures are filled with crazy antics, whacky characters, and lots of foul language. Thank god for foul language.


The story I've come up with for NaNo next month is hopefully going to turn into a vast series rivaled by Drizzt and other epic fantasy serieses. The book is entitled: The Misadventures of Trip 'N' Ballz. Subtitle: exSpelled.

Here's a quick summary:
Two blundering, but lovable idiots, Trip and Ballz, find themselves knee deep in trouble at the Archmagi Akademi. They have been kicked out of the government's magical military school for misbehaviors unprecedented in the history of the Critarion Empire. They also face de-spelling, a process where their magical energies are stripped from them, forcing them to live their lives in boring normality. They flee the Akademi and choose a life of crime in the Old Kingdom, The Muk Republik, which is governed by The Tainted Council and the Underworld lords who wield power rivaling the government itself. Years later, Trip and Ballz find that their lives are pretty boring anyway. They mostly stand around talking about random stuff like smoking, eating 'literally' magic mushrooms, or women. They inflict hallucinations on each-other which occasionally result in vision of the distant future, or even more distant past. When they aren't messing about, they are performing rituals for power-hungry guilds or slinging Devil Dust for an underworld drug lord. Lately, dealing contraband to wizards has never been more difficult when doomsday devices, plagues, assassins, cannibals, angry exes, and "The Man" are out to get you.
This is going to be one epic adventure. The world is similar to the Broken Empire, as seen in "Prince of Thorns". It's a grimdark world, but it also has Steampunk elements. Technology/Magic is one of the central issues which divides the world. Another central issue in the series is race: Tainted vs. Untainted. In the book the typical fantasy races don't exist (although monsters and what-not might). Humanity is tainted with a blood disease - it causes them to mutate when in contact with magic. I'll get into talking more about the conflicts in this yet unnamed world later. But, for now, I hope you'll follow the blog for updates and check out my NaNoWriMo Dashboard. I'll also be posting about fundraising. I plan to use this challenge as a small fundraiser for Crohn's disease and associated organizations.



No comments:

Post a Comment