Draft Report for 10/11/2016 2W/1L
On the 11th, last week, I went to a Kaladesh draft at SoCal Games and Comics, my preferred FLGS. They've got great employees and I really love the crowd that hangs there. We started drafting at 7 with 12 people drafting together. I never really got any big-time WOW cards passed to me. It was a little bit underwhelming; I didn't pull anything super stand out either, so I was left drafting value cards. Fortunately, I was getting pretty clear tells from the people around me. Black and White were getting passed over and over so I was pulling black and white over and over. I think I only pulled 3 non B/W cards during the entire draft.
I haven't drafted in quite a while, but draft is by far my favorite format in MTG. The last draft I attend was the pre-release event for Oath of the Gatewatch and I did several Battle for Zendikar before that. During the event I signed up for all six rounds but got blown out in a couple of the evening rounds, so I only ended up playing in 4 of the 6 actual drafts. I got completely burned out by the massive format with all the players and the insane level of play. I think I only won like 8 or 9 games out of the whole thing. It was pretty demoralizing, so it sent me packing not looking to get drafting again. However, during that event I managed to pull some really cool promo cards which, after I sold them, helped me finance my current standard and commander decks.
Black/White Fabricate All-In Smash
The Deck
| My Deck: The Stars are highlighted below. |
The Highlight Cards
Strategy - General
So, the Black/White archetype seems to be decent enough in Kaladesh; one of the other things about the deck is that it seemed like people weren't pulling many of the cards associated with those colors - at least they weren't near me - the other end might have been. My strategy was to draft as many of the fabricate cards as I could, especially after getting the two Restoration Gearsmith. I didn't get quite as many as I would have liked, but it worked out well enough. The Fumigate, Demonic Tutor were very useful when I needed the board clear to save my ass. Not shown here, because I don't know where it went, is an Inspired Charge. I played one of those in the deck and it was my goal to bust that out, with the hasted Dragster to deal a ton of damage all at once and burst my opponent down when he couldn't block or was all tapped out.
Round 1: U/G Token Production Control 0W-2L
My opponent was running a blue/green control token production deck. He had a very strong late game play with multiple combo cards. I lost hard in game one. In game 2, I attempted an all-in play, but got shut down; he ended me very quickly when I tapped everything to attack, and failed to finish him, leaving him with 1 hp. He admitted that he had several answers to my all-in as well. Too bad so sad. In the end, my opponent ended up coming in first place. His deck was a beast. It makes me feel not as bad when I lose to the guy who takes home the money.
Round 2: R/W Aggro 2W-1L
I got beaten pretty hard in game one. My opponent had some interesting combo cards which suprised me. Since I hadn't really looked over what cards were in the set, having only glanced at the archetypes before going into the tournament, I wasn't prepared for what he was going to dish out. But, in game 2, I knew what I needed to get rid of, and was able to come back for two wins. This was helped a lot by the fact that he got fairly tight on mana in game 2 and was completely mana flooded in game 3. Not his lucky night.
Round 3: U/W ??? 2W-1L
My opponent in round 3 was a relatively new player and his deck didn't have an archetype per-se, but was more an mix of good cards in the colors he drafted. Unfortunately, he didn't have many that really stood out. I had easy wins in both games one and three, getting STUPIDLY unlucky with draws in game two, pulling no land for 5 turns after mulliganing down twice. Sitting on so little mana I just couldn't do anything that game. However, the inspired charge won both game 1 and game 3 for me very quickly.
Summary
Considering how unprepared I was when I went into the event, I was proud of pulling a 2-1 record. With a 3 round swiss format, pack per win, this was a pretty damn fine result. I only lost to the guy who came in first place, which feels good. All in all, I really enjoyed the Kaladesh set and the draft as a whole. I'm headed to another event tonight, hoping to take a 3-0. May the odds be forever in my favor.
No comments:
Post a Comment